[petsc-users] Roles of ksp_type and pc_type

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 06:39:38 CST 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM, Massimiliano Leoni <
leoni.massimiliano1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In data giovedì 13 novembre 2014 05:59:17, hai scritto:
> > On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 5:39 AM, Massimiliano Leoni <
> > We call Hypre directly to apply P^{-1}.
> >
> > It should be. Send -ksp_view and we can verify.
>
> It looks like that's what's happening! :D
> Here it is
> http://pastebin.com/6J3Rj4x1

This is not exactly right because here you are just using additive
fieldsplit. The mass matrix
is a good preconditioner for the Schur complement, not the zero matrix.
Take a look at these
slides:

  http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/tutorials/ParisTutorial.pdf

at slide 115, or my talk from SIAM CS&E