[petsc-users] GPU support: ODE's

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 20:34:30 CST 2014

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Giorgos Pentafragkas <
gpentafragkas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys, quick question:
>
> The GPU support page says that "algebraic solvers now run on GPU".
> I'm interested in ODE solvers.
> Can someone clarify if they are supported as well, or is it just the
> algebraic ones? (DAE's I presume, which could be used for implicit ODE's)

The linear algebra making up the ODE solvers can run on the GPU, but all
logic is on the CPU, and
we have not fused kernels for these operations. Kernel fusion is important
for GPUs, but (I think) there
is no clear path for its implementation in libraries.

Thus, you can run it. Your mileage may vary. I would be really surprised to
see it beat a modern CPU.