[petsc-users] Multiple solves with PCMG fail

Filippo Leonardi filippo.leonardi at sam.math.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 5 01:37:50 CST 2014

@ Jed

Can't figure out what solver is causing the problem actually, I tried
evrerything: mg_levels, mg_coarse and nothing.

On Tuesday 04 November 2014 12.21:29 Mark Adams wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Filippo Leonardi <
>
> filippo.leonardi at sam.math.ethz.ch> wrote:
> > Sorry for the late update.
> >
> > I tested the code with the branch:
> > ksp-zero-eig
>
> Did you make PETSc after the checking out the branch?

Yes.

> Please send us the
> error message and run in debug mode if possible.

See below.

> > But the problem seems to still be there, also tried:
> > -ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues_random
> > but does not change.
> >
> > Just tell me what test you need and I'll try to do them.
> >
> > Best,
> > Filippo

> > > Sounds better.  As I said one of my users has a zero RHS on the first
> >
> > solve.

( Despite ARCH being arch-linux2-cxx-opt  it's compiled in debug mode )

mpirun -np 4 ./test1 -mg_levels_ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues_random -
ksp_chebyshev_estimate_eigenvalues_random -pc_type mg -pc_mg_levels 5 -
draw_pause -1 -ksp_view

[0]PETSC ERROR: [1]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
[1]PETSC ERROR: Null argument, when expecting valid pointer
[1]PETSC ERROR: Null Pointer: Parameter # 3
[1]PETSC ERROR: See http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/documentation/faq.html for
trouble shooting.
[1]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Development GIT revision: v3.5.2-925-g233c798  GIT Date:
2014-11-03 17:44:15 -0700
[1]PETSC ERROR: ./test1 on a arch-linux2-cxx-opt named Besikovitch-III by
filippo Wed Nov  5 08:32:52 2014
[1]PETSC ERROR: Configure options
[1]PETSC ERROR: #1 KSPComputeEigenvalues() line 119 in
/home/filippo/Workspace/petsc-git/ksp-zero-eig/src/ksp/ksp/interface/itfunc.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #2 KSPChebyshevComputeExtremeEigenvalues_Private() line 328 in
/home/filippo/Workspace/petsc-git/ksp-zero-eig/src/ksp/ksp/impls/cheby/cheby.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #3 KSPSolve_Chebyshev() line 373 in
/home/filippo/Workspace/petsc-git/ksp-zero-eig/src/ksp/ksp/impls/cheby/cheby.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #4 KSPSolve() line 460 in /home/filippo/Workspace/petsc-
git/ksp-zero-eig/src/ksp/ksp/interface/itfunc.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #5 PCMGMCycle_Private() line 19 in
/home/filippo/Workspace/petsc-git/ksp-zero-eig/src/ksp/pc/impls/mg/mg.c
[1]PETSC ERROR: #6 PCApply_MG() line 337 in /home/filippo/Workspace/petsc-
git/ksp-zero-eig/src/ksp/pc/impls/mg/mg.c