[petsc-users] Question about TaoLineSearchApply.

Ce Qin qince168 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 07:11:41 CDT 2014

Hi Barry,

I think there is confusion about my question.

The purpose of line search is to find an \alpha_{k} that minimize f(x +
\alpha p). This procedure usually choose several \alpha and returns a
proper \alpha_{k}. For each \alpha, we need to compute the objective
function and gradient of (x + \alpha p). In my FormFunctionGradient
function, I save some internal data(model response) which will be printed
in the monitor routine. If the objective function and gradient returned by
TaoLineSearchApply isn't the latest computed,  my internal data becomes
invalid in the monitor routine. My question is the order of the objective
function and gradient corresponding to \alpha_{k} in this line search
procedure.

If it is not clear, please let me know. Thanks.

Best regards,
Ce Qin