[petsc-users] Question about TaoLineSearchApply.

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat May 24 22:37:15 CDT 2014

On May 24, 2014, at 10:20 PM, Ce Qin <qince168 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Now I'm using TAO to solve an optimization problem. I want to output some internal data at each iteration in  the monitor routine. In the cg solver I found that TaoMonitor is called after TaoLineSearchApply. So I'm wondering that is the objective and gradient TaoLineSearchApply returns lastest computed? Does TAO guarantee this?

   According to the documentation and code yes it is suppose to always return the object function and gradient at the new solution value. Of course it is possible there is an error in one of our line search routines that results in not computing the final values. If you think think there is an error please point to the exact line search you are using and parameters etc (a test code is best and we will investigate if there is an error).

   Barry