[petsc-users] Equivalent of all_reduce for sparse matrices

marco restelli mrestelli at gmail.com
Fri May 9 07:19:24 CDT 2014

>> > I'm not sure you want this, but you can use MatGetRowIJ and similar to
>> > access the representation you're asking for if you are dead set on
>> > depending on a specific data format rather than using generic
>> > interfaces.
>> >

>> Jed, thank you. This is probably not the PETSc solution, but still it
>> might a solution!
>>
>> I have found this example for MatGetRowIJ:
>>

> I really do not think you want to do this. It is complex, fragile and I
> believe the performance
> improvement to be non-existent. You can get the effect you want JUST by
> using one function.
> For example, suppose you want 2 procs to get rows [0,5] and two procs to
> get rows [1,3], then
>
> procs A.B
>
>   MatGetSubmatrices(A, 2, [0,5], 2, [0,5], ..., &submat)
>
> procs C, D
>
>   MatGetSubmatrices(A, 2, [1,3], 2, [1,3], ..., &submat)
>
> and its done. No MPI, no extraction which depends on the Mat data
> structure.

Matt, I understand that the idea is to avoid using MPI, but I don't
see how getting a submatrix is related to my problem.

Probably a simpler version of my problem is the following:

one matrix is distributed on procs. 0,1
another matrix is distributed on procs. 2,3

The two matrices have the same size and I want to add them. For the
resulting matrix, I want two copies, one is distributed among 0,1 and
the second one among 2,3.

A possibility that I see now is creating a third matrix, with the same
size, distributed among all the four processors: 0,1,2,3, setting it
to zero and then letting processors 0,1 add their matrix, and also 2,3
add their own. Then I could convert the result into two matrices,
making the two copies that I need.

This works provided that in MatAXPY I can uses matrices distributed on
different processors: given that the function computes

Y = a*X + Y

in my case it would be
Y -> procs. 0,1,2,3
X -> procs. 0,1