[petsc-users] reusing LU factorization?

David Liu daveliu at mit.edu
Wed Jan 29 16:30:35 CST 2014

True, also I should have read Chapter 4 of the manual before asking the
question. I will try the various options there and see if I get any
improvement.

One thing I'm very confused about though: as I mentioned in the first post,
I am solving the matrix multiple times and changing the elements, but not
the nonzero structure in between solves. We've established that the
numerical LU is done on the first solve only. Also, I forgot to mention
that I am *not* calling KSPSetOperator before the subsequent solves, which
is why the subsequent solves are so fast.

According to section 4.2 of the manual, this is actually not allowed if I
change anything about the matrix (which I am doing since I didn't know
about this). Then why are my solves still getting the correct results that
I am expecting?