[petsc-users] cudaSetDevice

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 20 11:29:27 CST 2014

Hi guys,

 > We use external libraries such as MAGMA and cuSPARSE. It looks like they
> use the runtime API as you mentioned above. At the moment, conflict is
> between the two instances of PETSc that we run (one each for real and
> complex). We are planning to write some code in CUDA and will use the
> driver API if need be.
>
> Does moving to the driver API look like something that can be included
> in PETSc 3.5?

I can implement the lazy instantiation mechanism in early February.

As for the CUDA driver API, this depends on the external libraries.
PETSc's goal should be to stay away from low-level GPU fiddling as much
as possible and only provide the glue needed to leverage existing GPU
libraries in an MPI context. For example, I need to check whether e.g.
thrust and CUSP are able to deal with such a context information. If
not, then we have no other option but to rely on cudaSetDevice() anyway...

Best regards,
Karli