[petsc-users] non linear solver options

Dharmendar Reddy dharmareddy84 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 17:35:41 CST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Does Newton’s method with SNESSetVariableBounds() fail to converge? Can you send the output of running with -ksp_monitor_true_residual -snes_monitor -snes_linesearch_monitor?
>
>     I’m guessing you are trying to impose the additional conditions because Newton’s method "gets stuck”? Or why else do you want those additional constraints?

There is no issue with the convergence when i set the bounds. To
illustrate, i have Solved the problem with noBounds, wide range of
bounds and a narrow range of bounds (here it the solver should fail)

Please see the attache logs.

noBounds: resNoBounds.log
wideRange : resLargeRange.log
Narrow Range : resNarrowRange.log

At this point i solve only the non linear Poisson equation (F3). I am
working on implementing other equations.  Based on my experience using
commercial tools for such problems and literature, i find that these
coupled equation may require some kind of adaptive damping to
stabilize. So i was trying to get some idea on how i should design the
code. I have my own user options preprocessor, so i may need to
provide interface for appropriate snes options.

I have also attached the screen shot of the solution. Left side is the
correct solution obtained using nobounds. With large bounds also looks
similar. Right side is the solution with narrow bounds.

Thanks
Reddy