[petsc-users] non linear solver options

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 15:52:18 CST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Dharmendar Reddy
<dharmareddy84 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>                  I am solving a set of equations with SNES
> F1 (x1,x2,x3) = 0
> F2 (x1,x2,x3) = 0
> F3 (x1,x2,x3) = 0
>
> The system of equations is shown on page 1 of pdf here
> http://dunham.ee.washington.edu/ee531/notes/SemiRev.pdf
>
> F1 = equation 1
> F2 = equation 2
> F3 = equation 5
>
> x1 = n, X2=p and X3 = psi,
> X1 and X2 have an exponential dependance on X1

This is important, and is why Gummel's method was invented. These guys
discuss
it (http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/phd/pourfath/node89.html), and point out
that Newton
can be hard to converge. I suspect that preconditioning Newton with
something that
looks like Gummel is the way to go.

If you get this coded up, we can help you experiment with nonlinear
preconditioning.
Gummel is really a particular kind of nonlinear FieldSplit.