[petsc-users] DMPlexCreateGmsh

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:34:33 CST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Dharmendar Reddy
<dharmareddy84 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>         Gmsh does not output mesh in exodus format. I tried hard to
> look for an open source mesher which i can use, i ended up with gmsh.
> If there is a better alternative i can switch.

You could use --download-ctetgen which also meshes in 3D. I am not sure
what else Gmsh provides.

> Currently i pre process the gmsh file in my fortran code before i
> create a dm object via createFromCellList.
>
> Is there an opensource mesh converter available which can take gmsh to
> exoduss, i could not find one. I tried writing one but the problem is,
> i have to first form all the edges/facets in the mesh and map them to
> the boundary before i can create the sidesets for the exodus.

This at least is easy. If you have a cell-vertex mesh, you can call

  DMPlexInterpolate(dm, &idm);

and get the edges/faces.

> So, if it is possible, i will prefer to read my mesh via
> DMPLexcreateGmsh otherwise i can continue to use my code.

We can try. What will probably happen is that the reader will be able to
handle
exactly what you need since the full format is a little crazy.