[petsc-users] printing help

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 15 20:00:10 CST 2014

On Jan 15, 2014, at 6:56 PM, Blaise A Bourdin <bourdin at lsu.edu> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>> We really have to do something about the repeated Vec and Mat help when
>>> there is no prefix.  This is by far the most important case.
>>
>>  Hmm, do we even want people calling VecSetFromOptions() and MatSetFromOptions()? Especially for more than 1 or 2 “master” items which will have different prefixes anyways.  I don’t think we want calls to VecSetFromOptions() and MatSetFromOptions() from within other PETSc classes (except for possible a single master item) that is controlled from for example a DM.
>
> That makes a lot of sense, but when Vecs are created from a Mat or a DM, the call to VecSetFromOptions serves a purpose. In particular, it does the call to VecSetType. How do I get the VecType from a DM?

   DMSet/GetMatType() and DMSet/GetVecType() -dm_mat_type -dm_vec_type note that these will only print one message for each dm.

  Note also that if you have a SNES, KSP, PC, or Mat lying around it is better call KSPGetVecs() or MatGetVecs() instead of using VecCreate() since the KSP or Mat make sure to provide the Vec with the right layout.