[petsc-users] printing help

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 15 17:26:05 CST 2014

On Jan 15, 2014, at 4:32 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

>>   To change this we would need to introduce a way of tracking
>>   alreadyprinted per class and per prefix instead of per object. It
>>   is unlikely we will change this. We recommend not using
>>   VecSetFromOptions() and MatSetFromOptions() in real applications
>
> We really have to do something about the repeated Vec and Mat help when
> there is no prefix.  This is by far the most important case.

   Hmm, do we even want people calling VecSetFromOptions() and MatSetFromOptions()? Especially for more than 1 or 2 “master” items which will have different prefixes anyways.  I don’t think we want calls to VecSetFromOptions() and MatSetFromOptions() from within other PETSc classes (except for possible a single master item) that is controlled from for example a DM.