[petsc-users] Columnwise and 2D partitioning for matrices that have irregular sparsity patterns

R. Oğuz Selvitopi roguzsel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 21:34:47 CST 2014

Hello,

Is it possible to partition a parallel matrix in PETSc as follows:

A B C
D E F
G H I

The blocks A-D-G belong to processor 0 (A is the diagonal block, D and
G are off-diagonal blocks)

The blocks B-E-H belong to processor 1 (E is the diagonal block, B and
H are off-diagonal blocks)

The blocks C-F-I belong to processor 2 (I is the diagonal block, C and
F are off-diagonal blocks)

Or, is it possible to have nine processors and each has a block of the
matrix above? Block A belongs to processor 0, block B belongs to
processor 1, and so on...

As far as I read from documentation, PETSc always seems to be
considering a rowwise partitioning, where blocks A-B-C belong to
processor 0, D-E-F belong to processor 1 and G-H-I belong to processor
2.

Is there a way to obtain the partitioning schemes I described above?

Thanks in advance.