[petsc-users] From 1D to 3D problem ? Unstructured mesh ?

Christophe Ortiz christophe.ortiz at ciemat.es
Wed Feb 26 01:56:27 CST 2014

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Derek Gaston <friedmud at gmail.com> wrote:

> The phase-field system developed by Michael Tonks (copied on this email)
> will be part of the open-source release of MOOSE (hopefully by the end of
> next week).  Feel free to contact either myself or Mike for more
> information while we all wait...

Thanks a lot for the offer. I checked out the videos of MOOSE and indeed it
seems to be a great tool. However, in my group we prefer to develop our own
home-made simulation tools (except for tools like PETSc of course). I know
that using simulation tools developed by others saves a lot of work, but by
experience I can say that when comes the time to implement new things (new
mechanisms, new conditions), which were not planned, it becomes difficult
and time consuming since you must spend a lot of time to adapt the tool.
Therefore, we adopted the policy to develop our own tools.
Moreover, I already dedicated some time to develop a programming interface
(ie collections of C++ classes) for our purpose, which is the diffusion and
interaction of many species (thousands).

Nevertheless, I am reading the paper about the phase-field model behind
MOOSE. Maybe I will use this approach for our problems, still don't know. I
don't have experience with phase-field models. BTW, thanks Jed for the
link. I could download the paper.

Christophe