[petsc-users] partial stencil in DMDA?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 21 14:19:31 CST 2014

   Greg,

     The general mechanism for moving elements of vector between processes is with VecScatterCreate() and VecScatterBegin/End() with it you can indicate exactly what values are to move and to where, but it is all based on “one dimension” indexing into the vector.

    DMDA provides a subset of communication for “structured meshes” (essentially 1,2, 3 dimensional arrays split among processes with horizontal and vertical cuts). It is pretty much all or nothing in terms of communicating neighbor information.

    VecCreateGhost() uses the VecScatter mechanism to set up a SINGLE communication pattern between a Vec and its ghosted partner Vec.

   Based on your email: “However, when communicating ghost values, not all of those degrees of freedom should be exchanged at once.” it sounds like you need several (many) communication patterns requiring different ghost entries in each.

1) The hard general case: if for each set of ghost points you may need several entries from one grid point and a different number of entries from another grid point VecScatterCreate() (called multiple times, one for each pattern) and VecScatterBegin/End() are intended for this purpose. However if you are working with a 2 dimension grid/array you want to do ghosting for you need to initially map your ghosting patterns from the 2d indexing to the 1d indexing of the VecScatterCreate() which is a bit painful. You can see the routine I mentioned before DMSetUp_DA_2D() but it would need to be heavily modified.

2) The easy case: if, for example, you need just the first index from each point communicated as a ghost and then next the second and then next the third you can avoid all custom communication patterns and just create 2 DMDA, one with a dof of 100 (or what ever it is for your case) and one with dof of 1 then use VecStrideGather to pull out the one component of the global vector (with the dof of 100) into a Vec obtained from DMCreateGlobalVector() from the dof of 1 DMDA then use the DMGlobalToLocalBegin/End on the 1 dof DMDA and now you have your single ghost point at each point vector that you want.

   Barry