[petsc-users] How can PETSc configure with MSMPI

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 2 13:03:52 CST 2014

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> > BTW: We are still using this old MPICH2-1.4 on windows for PETSc
> > nightly builds [with antique MS compilers]
>
> How would we feel about another project bundling petsc-3.0 indefinitely?

We are not bundling it. We are using it for our nightly tests.

Also the comparision to using petsc doesn't apply here. PETSc changes
API with every release. As long as we say we support MPI-2 - such
things shold work. In that sense - its good to have some testsuites
with such old stuff.

> "Feel free, but it's up to you to support it."

Thats what we say with users of older version of PETSc. I think its
fine [I think thats what opensource is partly about]

> I think we have to figure out something workable using supported
> packages.  We don't want to be in the business of maintaining/supporting
> antique versions of other libraries.

Supporting windows is a mess. There is no single 'easily' supported
thingy here.

Sure we should probably also have a different test infracture with
latest compilers, latest supported mpi etc.. But that doesn't mean
testing with alternatives does not have value..

'gcc is now at 4.8 - so we shoud not support older versions of gcc...'

Satish