[petsc-users] How can PETSc configure with MSMPI

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 2 12:28:02 CST 2014

> On Feb 2, 2014, at 11:55 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
>> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>>
>>> You can try --download-mpich [not MSMPI] - if you are using gnu
>>> compilers on windows.
>>
>> MPICH is no longer supported on Windows (no funding).  They have mailing
>> list traffic about it almost every day, and recommend using MSMPI or
>> Intel MPI.
>
>    Maybe the Open Source Community can take up maintenance on it

That requires a competent and motivated developer with a vested interest
in having MPICH work with Cygwin.  So far, said person has not appeared.

MS-MPI is MPICH with a few proprietary bits.  The binaries are free, but
it is not open source.  I guess this is a problem for us because it
doesn't work with Cygwin (I don't understand the issues).  Should we
reconsider non-Cygwin builds?