[petsc-users] How can PETSc configure with MSMPI

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Sun Feb 2 12:18:04 CST 2014

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> On Sun, 2 Feb 2014, Jed Brown wrote:
>
>> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>>
>> > You can try --download-mpich [not MSMPI] - if you are using gnu
>> > compilers on windows.
>>
>> MPICH is no longer supported on Windows (no funding).  They have mailing
>> list traffic about it almost every day, and recommend using MSMPI or
>> Intel MPI.
>
> 1. I don't htink MSMPI supports cygwin/gcc

Naturally.

> 2. [Unsupported] MPICH you refer to - was the version that worked with
> MS/Intel compilers. Eventhough there was a part of this binary install
> that was supporsed to work with cygwin/gcc compilers - it never
> properly worked.

The MPICH2-1.4 series was the last version that upstream MPICH tested or
supported on Windows.  They no longer support that version and they no
longer support Windows in any form (no testing, no user support).

http://wiki.mpich.org/mpich/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_Why_can.27t_I_build_MPICH_on_Windows_anymore.3F

> 3. --download-mpich worked previously with cygwin/gcc [without any any
> cygwin specific work from MPICH folks]. I'm guessing it will continue
> to work.

Only insofar as being POSIX-compliant implies that it will Just Work on
cygwin.

> 4. Cygwin has OpenMPI - but I haven't tried that. Presumably that
> should also work.
>
> However wrt the primary issue of this thread - if '--with-threadcomm
> --with-openmp' is required - then its best to use linux [perhaps via a
> VirtualMachine]

Turn off those options for now.