[petsc-users] How can PETSc configure with MSMPI

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Feb 2 12:10:27 CST 2014

On Sun, 2 Feb 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > You can try --download-mpich [not MSMPI] - if you are using gnu
> > compilers on windows.
>
> MPICH is no longer supported on Windows (no funding).  They have mailing
> list traffic about it almost every day, and recommend using MSMPI or
> Intel MPI.

1. I don't htink MSMPI supports cygwin/gcc

2. [Unsupported] MPICH you refer to - was the version that worked with
MS/Intel compilers. Eventhough there was a part of this binary install
that was supporsed to work with cygwin/gcc compilers - it never
properly worked.

3. --download-mpich worked previously with cygwin/gcc [without any any
cygwin specific work from MPICH folks]. I'm guessing it will continue
to work.

4. Cygwin has OpenMPI - but I haven't tried that. Presumably that
should also work.

However wrt the primary issue of this thread - if '--with-threadcomm
--with-openmp' is required - then its best to use linux [perhaps via a
VirtualMachine]

Satish