[petsc-users] Adaptive implicit method with PETSC

Chung-Kan Huang ckhuangf at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:59:11 CST 2014

Hi,

I am trying to find a best way to implement adaptive implicit method
(AIM) using PETSc for the linear solver.

I am solving conservation equations so if I have a N cells problem then I
will end of solving a N*M by N*M linear system matrix for each cell has M
equations (or variables) when I solve them fully implicitly.  For such
system I can use blocked matrix (BAIJ)
In case each cell has its implicitness level varing from 1 to M so each sub
block will have different size range from 1 by to M by M so BAIJ will be
very inefficient in both storage and computations I supposed.

So I am actually thinking if I should reconstruct matrix and using point
matrix (AIJ) when implicitness changes but will this also too inefficient
for constructing a new matrix?

So what is the best way for me to implement AIM?

Kan