[petsc-users] behavior of running same codes on different clusters many times

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 27 16:19:38 CDT 2014

  Different compilers can also produce different results because they order the operations differently.

  Also note that with iterative methods such as Newton's method and linear iterative methods such as Krylov methods when the residual norms start to get small they may look very different with different configurations while the actual answers that are being converged to are quite similar. For example if one machine has

   SNES 0   1.2345
   SNES 1   .23456
   SNES 2   .003456
   SNES 3   4.5678e-6