[petsc-users] behavior of running same codes on different clusters many times

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 15:57:14 CDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Xiangdong <epscodes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> When I ran the same petsc codes on different clusters many times, one
> cluster always produces the same results, while the other one varies in
> terms of number of iterations for SNES and KSP convergence. If the problem
> is ill-conditioned, the round-off errors may cause different number of
> iterations to converge. However, what puzzles me is that the number of
> iterations on one machine is always the same while the other varies. I use
> same codes with same version of PETSc. The differences I can think about
> are MPI implementations (mvapich2 vs openmpi), compiler (icc vs gcc) and
> the network between the nodes. Could these factors cause these different
> behaviors?

Some machines (like BlueGene) have very consistent behavior, including the
ordering of communication operations, whereas
other machines do not. For ill-conditioned problems, this can make a real
difference. However, what this is telling you is that
your answer is not really any more meaningful than that spread.

   Matt