[petsc-users] KSPSetUp hanging up with HYPRE preconditioner

Ghosh, Swarnava sghosh2012 at gatech.edu
Fri Aug 8 13:19:39 CDT 2014

Hello,

    I am using petsc 3.4.1 interfaced with hypre 2.9.0b

    I am using the following lines of code to solve a Poisson equation using KSPGMRES with HYPRE preconditioner.
    pOfdft->laplaceOpr is a sparse matrix in MATMPIBAIJ format.

  KSPCreate(PETSC_COMM_WORLD,&pOfdft->ksp);
  KSPSetType(pOfdft->ksp,KSPGMRES);
  KSPSetTolerances(pOfdft->ksp,KSPTOL,PETSC_DEFAULT,PETSC_DEFAULT,PETSC_DEFAULT);
  KSPSetOperators(pOfdft->ksp,pOfdft->laplaceOpr,pOfdft->laplaceOpr,SAME_NONZERO_PATTERN);
  KSPGetPC(pOfdft->ksp,&pOfdft->pc);
  PCSetType(pOfdft->pc,PCHYPRE);
  PCHYPRESetType(pOfdft->pc,"boomeramg");
  KSPSetFromOptions(pOfdft->ksp);
  KSPSetUp(pOfdft->ksp);

    The code runs fine when the size of matrix is small (4096 X 4096).
    BUT the code remains stuck in KSPSetUp function when the size of matrix is bigger (262144 x262144) on 64 cores 120 gb ram.

   Could you please let me know the probable reason the why the code is hanging in KSPSetUp.
   If possible could you please share some C examples where you use a HYPRE preconditioner for solving a large system

Thanks,
Swarnava

--
Swarnava Ghosh