[petsc-users] infinite loop with NEWTONTR?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 25 07:49:53 CDT 2014

On Apr 25, 2014, at 7:31 AM, Norihiro Watanabe <norihiro.w at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my simulation, nonlinear solve with the trust regtion method got stagnent after linear solve (see output below).

   What do you mean, get stagnant? Does the code just hang, that is keep running but not print anything.

> Is it possible that the method goes to inifite loop?

   This is not suppose to be possible.

> Is there any parameter to avoid this situation?

  You need to determine what it is “hanging” on. Try running with -start_in_debugger and when it “hangs” hit control C and type where to determine where it is.

   Barry