[petsc-users] MatMPIBAIJSetPreallocationCSR i and j indices

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 29 17:13:52 CDT 2013

On Sep 29, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>   but then we still need to decide what format
>>   MatCreateMPIBAIJWithArrays() should use since the user cannot
>>   choose from several. I conclude the best thing to do is to just use
>>   the default column oriented as the only possibility.
>
> Agreed, but I would do that by calling
> MatSetOption(A,MAT_ROW_ORIENTED,PETSC_FALSE) inside
> MatCreateMPIBAIJWithArrays and restoring it afterward, so that
> MatMPIBAIJSetPreallocationCSR does not change that option.

   I am fine with this. In fact I would go ahead and make the change in the branch I already made exactly for this work. Sadly, git allowed me to fuck up the branch so I cannot easily work on that branch since it empty, if only git could have warned me I was fucking up…..

   Barry

I actually got to the stage of pushing my branch to the repository, then I went to bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc to make the pull request of my branch to next (where you could have made all these suggestions in an organized way) when I realized the branch wasn't in the repository because I forgot to check it out after making it. If this sad story doesn't make you realize git having optional enforceable policies and warnings are a good thing then I guess nothing will and we'll continue to limp along with constant mistakes, not caught by simple tests, slowing down our productivity.