[petsc-users] make all freezes

Analabha Roy hariseldon99 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 00:47:19 CDT 2013

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 1:18 AM, Analabha Roy <hariseldon99 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I just got a new laptop and installed linux mint KDE. Details below:
>>
>> samsung NP300E5X-U01IN:
>> Kernel 3.8.0-26-generic #38-Ubuntu SMP
>> Four Intel Unknown 800MHz processors, 16760.20 total bogomips, 3733M RAM
>> System library 2.17.0
>>

>> I tried to compile petsc-3.4.2 with the following configuration
>>
>> ./configure --with-scalar-type=complex --with-c2html=0
>> --with-debugging=no --with-fortran-kernels=1 --with-hdf5=yes
>> --with-hdf5-dir=/usr --enable-parallel
>>

>> The configure log is posted here<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2769707/configure.log>(dropbox)
>>
>> The configure script seems to run okay, but running "make
>> PETSC_DIR=/usr/local/src/petsc-3.4.2 PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-opt all" or
>> "make all" causes the compile to hang with no output.
>>

> This sounds like a CMake problem on your machine. Please try running
>
>   make all-legacy
>
> although it seems like your Builder run succeeded.

I purged cmake using apt-get and reinstalled it from scratch. The problem
persists

I also ran "make all-legacy". Same problem. No output. Just hangs.

> Downgrading to a previous version of petsc does not seem to help. The
>> problem persists. Using default options "./configure
>> --with-scalar-type=complex" doesn;t seem to change anything either.
>>
>> Running ./config/builder.py works, but then "make test" hangs similarly,
>> as does running make on any example or any of my petsc sources.
>>

> This is different. It is likely that your MPI is not setup correctly to
> launch on this machine. Can you
> run any MPI job?

Yes. Both this hello world
example<http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rc/classes/intro_mpi/hello_world_ex.html>and
this calculation
of pi<http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi/examples/simplempi/cpi_c.htm>compiles
without errors and runs as expected.

Should I try purging openmpi and reinstalling?

--
---
*Emails*: daneel at physics.utexas.edu, hariseldon99 at gmail.com
*Webpage*: http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~daneel/