[petsc-users] petsc-3.3-p6/src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex10.c compilation problem

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 21 08:06:52 CDT 2013

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 5:30 AM, Pierre-Yves Aquilanti <sperif at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to compile the example 10.c located in the directory
> /petsc-3.3-p6/src/snes/examples/tutorials/ but facing a lot of compilation
> errors related to a ALE object (??).

That example would only work if you configure PETSc --with-sieve (and a
bunch of other options). Sieve is deprecated so don't sweat it. We have a
replacement called DMPlex which does not use C++ and for which there are
some examples. What are you trying to do? We can likely point you to a
better example.

> In fact, I have tried to compile this example using the "make ex10"
> command like for other examples on different platforms (OSX 10.8 and
> Linux x64) but no success. I am using the last version of PETSc and also
> tried with the dev version with no luck.
>
> Furthermore, after testing the other exercises, I noticed that ex12.c had
> the same problem (with the ALE object).
>
> Is there is an error with ex10 and ex12 of SNES tutorials ? How can I
> compile them ? Moreover, I noticed that the SNES tutorials directory
> contained a ex10d directory containing a ex10.c source file. Is this
> related to the ex10.c file in the SNES tutorials directory ?

No, there is no relationship between ex10d/ex10.c and ex10.c. Matt, can you
rename/delete ex10.c?