[petsc-users] DMPlex Fortran examples

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 19:39:58 CST 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Dharmendar Reddy <dharmareddy84 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>          Is there a DMPlex based fortran example for solving a pde such as
> laplace ? Even a c example will do. I am not able to understand the
> terminology of chart, cone etc. Is there a paper or user guide to learn
> more about the definitions of terms such as chart cone stratum ? I remember
> reading a presentation file by mathew about sieve. Is there a newer
> tutorial with terminology mapped to the new DMPlex/DMMesh functions.

There is a fully worked out Stokes example (SNES ex62) and a Finite Volume
example (TS ex11),
and there are a few tests. You should not need much of that stuff for
defining a problem. I am
writing up a paper about ex11 right now. There is a short manual section on
unstructured grids as well.

I think the key thing to understand is how to define a data layout over the
mesh using a PetscSection.
Once that is done, all the DM functions work as normal, and the last hard
part is coding your residual
loop. I have support for FEM schemes, but its undocumented and slightly
complex in order to allow
GPU assembly, so you may be more comfortable with your own element loop to
start.