[petsc-users] How to understand these error messages

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 26 09:21:48 CDT 2013

Fande Kong <fd.kong at siat.ac.cn> writes:

> Hi Barry,
>
> If I use the intel mpi, my code can correctly run and can produce some
> correct results. Yes, you are right. The IBM MPI has some bugs.

Fande, please report this issue to the IBM.

Jeff, Fande has a reproducible case where when running on 10k cores and
problem sizes over 100M, this

  MPI_Waitany(2*stash->nrecvs,stash->recv_waits,&i,&recv_status);

returns

      [6724]PETSC ERROR: Negative MPI source: stash->nrecvs=8 i=11
      MPI_SOURCE=-32766 MPI_TAG=-32766 MPI_ERROR=20613892!

It runs correctly for smaller problem sizes, smaller core counts, or for
all sizes when using Intel MPI.  This is on Yellowstone (iDataPlex, 4500
dx360 nodes).  Do you know someone at IBM that should be notified?