[petsc-users] PETSC_INT 32bits / 64 bits problem

Lu Qiyue luqiyue at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 14:22:06 CDT 2013

Dear All:

I am solving a huge system of AX=b, Matrix A is a sparse matrix but its
number of non-zeros has been out of range of the upper limit of PETSC_INT
(4 bytes).

In the online documents
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/docs/manualpages/Sys/PetscInt.html
It shows:
Its size can be configured with the option --with-64-bit-indices - to be
either 32bit or 64bit [default 32 bits int].
Also, in the document:
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-current/include/petscsys.h.html#PetscInt
Looks need to configure BLAS and LAPACK lib with 64 bits options as well.

If I just change the PETSC_INT declaration in the driver to LONG INT,
warnings prompt out when calling functions which used PETSC_INT data as its
parameters.

Should I recompile (re-install) PETSC to add the 64 bits configurations?
And for BLAS and LAPACK libs? Or, is there any other solutions?

Thanks

Qiyue Lu