[petsc-users] PCSHELL

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jul 25 15:09:55 CDT 2013

On Jul 25, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Su Yan <suyan0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, can I use PCSetType(myPC, PCSHELL); together with PCFactorSetMatOrderingType(myPC, MATORDERINGRCM)?

   PCFactorSetMatOrdering() is only effective if the PC is a subclass of PCFactor, for example PCLU is a subclass of PCFactor as are PCILU and PCCHOLESKY and PCICC

   If you want to use things like this you cannot use PCSHELL (which is a subclass of only the basic PC) you can copy the code for PCCreate_LU() for example and modify it for what you want to do.  Or you can register new factorization and solver package as a MatSolverPackage; see for example superlu.c in mat/impls/aij/seq/superlu/

   What is it you want to do?

   Barry