[petsc-users] Setting PETSc Sundials Options Using PETSC_OPTIONS

Lesleis Nagy l.nagy at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jul 25 09:53:20 CDT 2013

Hello,

I currently use PETSc (version: 3.3-p7) and petsc4py along with the Sundials interface to perform time stepping for some FEM code that I have written (for completeness I make use of FEniCS). I would like to pass options to PETSc from the command line using the PETSC_OPTIONS environment variable. I set it with the following values:

	$ export PETSC_OPTIONS="-ts_sundials_type bdf -ts_sundials_gramschmidt_type modified -ts_sundials_monitor_steps -options_table -options_left"

I then run the code using:

	$ mpiexec -n 2 python script.py

Everything appears to work and my code terminates. However at the end of the run, '-options_table' / '-options_left' reports that

#PETSc Option Table entries:
-options_left
-options_table
-ts_sundials_gramschmidt_type modified
-ts_sundials_monitor_steps
-ts_sundials_type bdf
#End of PETSc Option Table entries
There are 3 unused database options. They are:
Option left: name:-ts_sundials_gramschmidt_type value: modified
Option left: name:-ts_sundials_monitor_steps no value
Option left: name:-ts_sundials_type value: bdf

Could someone explain to me why PETSc is reading the Sundials options that I've supplied but is not using them?

Kind regards
Les
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.