[petsc-users] SNES and TS

Zou (Non-US), Ling ling.zou at inl.gov
Sun Jul 21 10:28:02 CDT 2013

Dear All,

I've been playing with TS with my transient problem. It so far works
fine and I was able to deal with forward Euler and backward Euler time
integration scheme very easy pretty much without changing anything in
my code.

I understand that TS works fine when the non-linear equations look like:
du/dt = f
dv/dt = g

However, I currently have a non-linear equation system like
h(du/dt, dv/dt) = f
k(du/dt, dv/dt) = g

both h and k are nonlinear function of du/dt and dv/dt. I wonder for
this kind of situation, is TS still the best option for time
integration. For my understanding, I can solve the transient system
using SNES directly like:
h(du/dt, dv/dt) - f = 0
k(du/dt, dv/dt) - g = 0
and handle the time integration manually as it also would give me
flexibility to use my own time integration schemes.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give some suggestions, and examples
if possible (I love examples :)

Best,

Ling