[petsc-users] -pc_factor_mat_solver_package wish_list

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 7 17:09:59 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  How would this be done in the code? Ideally there is a functional
> interface with a corresponding OptionsData base interface. Something like
> the equivalent of
> PCFactorSetMatSolverPackages(pc,{MATSOLVERSUPERLU_DIST,MATSOLVERMUMPS,
> MATSOLVERPETSC,PETSC_NULL})

It could, but I'd prefer to have a generic routine that created an
alternative from the array of types (by joining them with ':').

Otherwise it's just more boilerplate for every object.

>    Then follow this paradigm for all set types and packages? But then
> since there is  a PCFactorSetMatSolverPackage() and a
> PCFactorSetMatSolverPackages() should there be
> a -pc_factor_mat_solver_package  package AND
> -pc_factor_mat_solver_packages  package1:package2  ?

No need, if it containts a ':' then it's an alternative. The implementation
of PCFactorSetMatSolverPackages() would just join the strings and call
PCFactorSetMatSolverPackage().