[petsc-users] fieldsplit error

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Dec 28 15:06:40 CST 2013

On Dec 27, 2013, at 9:25 PM, subramanya sadasiva <potaman at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a nonlinear system with 6 variables grouped in two sets of 3. I am trying to get a fieldsplit preconditioner working . I have the following options set up
>
> -pc_type fieldsplit
> -pc_fieldsplit_type multiplicative
> -fieldsplit_0_fields 0,2,4
> -fieldsplit_1_fields 1,3,5

    These should be -pc_fieldsplit_0 or 1 _fields   0,2,4   or 1,3,5   the reason is these are options for pc_fieldsplit not for a particular sub solve

> -fieldsplit_0_ksp cg
> -fieldsplit_1_ksp cg

   These should be -fieldsplit_0 or 1 _ksp_type cg

> -fieldsplit_0_pc hypre
> -fieldsplit_1_pc hypre

   These should be -fieldsplit_0 or 1 _pc_type hypre   But I don’t think hypre ensures a symmetric preconditioner so you probably use gmres above instead of cg

  Barry