[petsc-users] Extending PETSC-SNES-VI to linear inequality constraints,

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 23 22:27:57 CST 2013

subramanya sadasiva <potaman at outlook.com> writes:

> Hi, Is it possible to extend PETSC-SNES VI to handlie linear
> inequality constraints. My problem has 4 variables . 2 of them have
> bounds constraints, as well as a linear inequality. At present I've
> implemented an augmented lagrangian method to handle the linear
> inequality and I let SNES VI handle the bounds constraints. However,
> the convergence of this method is very poor. I'd like to know if there
> was an easy way to get SNES VI to handle the linear inequalities as
> well. Thanks,

This would be a useful extension, though I think nonlinear inequality
constraints may ultimately be necessary.  We are integrating TAO as a
module in PETSc, which will help with problem formulation.

Does your problem have an "energy" or objective functional, or is it a
general variational inequality?