[petsc-users] [Libmesh-users] What does this error mean?

John Peterson jwpeterson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:48:22 CDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM, subramanya sadasiva
<potaman at outlook.com>wrote:

> I have a phase-field code implemented using libmesh 0.9.2 and petsc-3.4.2
> using the petscdm based nonlinear solver. This code works on OS X 10.8.4.
> However, when I tried to build and run this code on a linux machine, I get
> the following error.
>
> [0]PETSC ERROR: --------------------- Error Message
> ------------------------------------
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc has generated inconsistent data!
> [0]PETSC ERROR: No mesh blocks found.!
> [0]PETSC ERROR:
> [0]PETSC ERROR: Petsc Release Version 3.4.2, Jul, 02, 2013
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/changes/index.html for recent updates.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/faq.html for hints about trouble shooting.
> [0]PETSC ERROR: See docs/index.html for manual pages.
>
> Does anybody know what the likely cause of this error is?

Looks like it comes from petscdmlibmesh.C line 182.

I'd try running in dbg mode if you haven't yet, and see if that comes up
with anything useful.

This only seems like it would happen if you have no active elements on a
given processor.  Are you running in parallel on a very small mesh?

Other than that, maybe Dmitry has an idea.

--
John