[petsc-users] Attach approximate null space to a fieldsplit block

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 13:14:32 CDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 19 August 2013 14:03, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> > There is a better way. You can attach the null space to the IS that forms
> > the split
> >
> >   PetscObjectAttach((PetscObject) is0, "nullspace", nullspace);
> >
> > and PCFIELDSPLIT will pull it out and attach it to the preconditioner for
> > block 0.
> >

> I tried this and it didn't seem to work - the solver didn't converge at
> all.

Is this helpless week :) Run with -ksp_view so we can see what actually
happened.
Here is the code that gets out the null space:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/d45619dec29bfb59cf96225a84e0a74106da50ca/src/ksp/pc/impls/fieldsplit/fieldsplit.c?at=master#cl-531

You can break there and see if it gets it.