[petsc-users] Iterative solution for schur complement

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 14 15:37:40 CDT 2013

Umut Tabak <u.tabak at tudelft.nl> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I am looking at a system where I am trying to investigate this
> ill-conditioned problem with some iterative tricks or not. Namely, the
> system that I try to solve is
>
> (B - C^T A^{-1}C) x2 = b2
>
> which results from block symmetric representation
>
> A  C
> C^T B

What physics do you have here?

> Unfortunately, B is indefinite, I tried some tries in MATLAB but none of
> them gave convergence. What I tried is listed below:
>
> + Even if B is indefinite, it is symmetric, and I am trying to use its
> LDLT decomposition as a preconditioner for the above system. Besides, I
> am also using the LDLT for the matrix vector multiplications which comes
> from A^{-1} related terms. I am not forming the operator matrix here but
> it is a function handle that represents the matrix-vector
> multiplication. Also the preconditioner solve related to B2 is also a
> function handle. Of course in this case, my preconditioner B is not SPD
> however it is the direct factor of B. Due to this reason, I was
> expecting to get better results while using also the direct
> factorization of A2.
>
> + The strange thing in MATLAB is that CG fails on the very first
> iteration due to the reason that some parameters are too small to
> continue, I can understand this since that implicitly boils down to the
> Cholesky decomposition of the projected system. But minres also fails
> with the same error. I am hesitating whether I shall program minres or
> gmres myself to detect the source of the problem, any ideas on where the
> problem might come from, especially while using minres?

Both CG and MINRES require an SPD preconditioner.  It sounds like B is a
poor approximation to the Schur complement S = B - C^T A^{-1} C.
Depending on your application area, there are a few classes of
preconditioners that you might consider.  These include the
least-squares commutator, physics-based approximate commutator,
SIMPLE(R), and DD and multigrid methods applied directly to the
indefinite problem.