[petsc-users] mixed precision

Karl Rupp rupp at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 12 13:38:34 CDT 2013

Hi Jim,

in addition to what Matt already said, keep in mind is that you usually
won't see a two-fold performance gain in iterative solvers anyway, as
the various integers used for storing the nonzeros in the sparse matrix
don't change their size. I once played with an implementation of an
non-preconditioned mixed-precision CG solver, and I only obtained about
a 40 percent overall performance gain for well-conditioned systems. For
less well-conditioned systems you may not get any better overall
performance at all (or worse, fail to converge).

Best regards,
Karli