[petsc-users] mixed precision

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 12:32:56 CDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Jim Fonseca <jefonseca at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> We are curious about the mixed-precision capabilities in NEMO5. I see that
> there is a newish configure option to allow single precision for linear
> solve. Other than that, I found this old post:
> https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/htdig/petsc-users/2012-August/014842.html
>
> Is there any other information about to see if we can take advantage of
> this capability?

Mixed-precision is hard, and especially hard in PETSc because the C type
system is limited.
However, it also needs to be embedded in an algorithm that can take
advantage of it. I would
always start out with a clear motivation:

  - What would mixed precision accomplish in your code?

  - What is the most possible benefit you would see?

and decide if that is worth a large time investment.