[petsc-users] Fastest solver option after factorization

Jack Poulson jack.poulson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:24:17 CDT 2012

Dear Umut,

Since you are interested in the performance of the sparse triangular
solves, I am assuming that you will be performing many such solves
(otherwise the cost would be negligible relative to the factorization).
There is a technique known as "selective inversion" which performs slightly
more work in the factorization, essentially by directly inverting diagonal
blocks, so that the triangular solves can be performed entirely through
dense matrix-vector multiplications.

The main reference for the technique is:
P. Raghavan, "Efficient parallel sparse triangular solution using selective
inversion", Parallel Processing Letters, 8 (1998), no. 1, pp. 29-40.

Here is a reference for the first code to implement the technique (DSCPACK):
P. Raghavan, "Domain-Separator Codes for the parallel solution of sparse
linear systems", Penn State, Technical Report, 2002, CSE-02-004.

I have seen more than an order of magnitude of improvement in one of my
algorithms due to implementing this approach.

Best,
Jack