[petsc-users] relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 error

Miguel Méndez mendez8 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 06:03:19 CDT 2012

Hi everybody,

I'm getting the infamous "relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32" error
when compiling a fortran program. I've tried many things, the last one of
them being to recompile Petsc and Slepc libraries. This has solved all of
the compile errors related to this relocation except for one:

> /usr/local/software/slepc-3.0.0-p7-fpic/complex/build/lib/libslepc.a(cross.o):
> In function `ShellMatGetDiagonal_CROSS':
> cross.c:(.text+0x3ca): relocation truncated to fit: R_X86_64_PC32 against
> symbol `MPIU_COMPLEX' defined in COMMON section in
> /usr/local/software/petsc-3.0.0-p12-fpic/complex/build/lib/libpetsc.a(init.o)

I don't even think I know where the error is, in Petsc or in Slepc? I've
been trough Intel forums and done as they recommend: recompile the
libraries with "--mcmodel=medium" and "shared-intel". I've tried too
combinations with "-fpic", but I always end having the same error.

I've searched the logs for messages about "libpetsc.a" building, but
there's nothing about it. Who and when builds this exact library? Why it
seems that compile options I set are not applying in the building of this
file?

Thanks,

Miguel