[petsc-users] configure error with netcdf

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 9 13:04:39 CDT 2012

On Sep 9, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Sep 2012, Barry Smith wrote:

>>   Satish,
>>
>>  Weird undefined symbols like yyunput are always a result of flex issues.
>>
>>    Could you please make the same changes to netcdf.py that you made to the other package that used flex (which resolved the problem there).
>
> In this case netcdf has its own configure - and does its own search for flex etc.
>

> checking for flex... flex
> checking lex output file root... lex.yy
> checking lex library... -lfl
> <<<
>
> So the tools appear to be found. And I don't see them being used
> further down [in configure.log].

   Agreed. It seems some of the processing is lost; perhaps netcdf build tools do not properly display everything they are doing

   Note the use of .l files and the symbol yyunput which is very specific to flex.

>  So its not clear if 'missing flex'
> is the cause of this error.

   Yes, it may not be a "missing" flex that is causing the problem but the problem is related flex, bison and all that crap. Unfortunately if we cannot reproduce on a machine we have access to there is no way we can debug it.

    Barry