[petsc-users] How to use multigrid?

w_ang_temp w_ang_temp at 163.com
Sat Nov 3 12:38:33 CDT 2012

Hello, Matthew

        I just mean that the problem that I am resolving is a finite element problem. The linear system of it  is true elliptic equations.
I heared that AMG was an efficient solver, so I just want to have a try about AMG and find that if it is efficient.
       By the way, I want to confirm a conception. In my view, AMG itself can be a solver like gmres. It can also be used as a preconditioner
like jacobi and is used by combining with other solver. Is it right? If it is right, how use AMG solver?

        Thanks.

                                                                                                                        Jim

>在 2012-11-04 01:21:59,"Matthew Knepley" <knepley at gmail.com> 写道:
><On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 1:17 PM, w_ang_temp <w_ang_temp at 163.com> wrote:

>At 2012-11-04 01:08:26,"Jed Brown" <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>1. What kind of equation are you solving? AMG is not working well if it takes that many iterations.

>I just deal with the typical soil-water coupled geotechnical problems. It is a typical finite element equation. The matrix is 30000X30000 and ill-conditioned.

>We are now at the root of your problem. Solvers do not work on discretizations, they work on equations. No
>solver is designed for "finite elements", and there is no typical finite element problem.

>Multigrid works best on elliptic equations with smooth coefficients. Without that, you have to do special things.

>I can tell from the above discussion that you have not spent a lot of time researching successful preconditioning
>strategies for your problem in the literature. This is always the first step to building a high performance solver.

 > Thanks,

>     Matt

>2.

      #                          WARNING!!!                    #
      #   This code was compiled with a debugging option,      #
      #   To get timing results run ./configure                #
      #   using --with-debugging=no, the performance will      #
      #   be generally two or three times faster.              #