[petsc-users] Using -ts_type sundials with -snes-fd

Geoff Oxberry goxberry at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:46:50 CDT 2012

Peter,

You are correct. Here is the output (now with petsc-dev changeset: 23668:a876ee8e66fd):

goxberry$ ./ex8 -problem_type rober -ts_type sundials -ts_view
TS Object: 1 MPI processes
  type: sundials
  maximum steps=1000
  maximum time=1e+11
  total number of nonlinear solver iterations=3739
  total number of nonlinear solve failures=0
  total number of linear solver iterations=3739
  total number of rejected steps=0
  Sundials integrater does not use SNES!
  Sundials integrater type BDF: backward differentiation formula
  Sundials abs tol 1e-06 rel tol 1e-06
  Sundials linear solver tolerance factor 0.05
  Sundials max dimension of Krylov subspace 5
  Sundials using unmodified (classical) Gram-Schmidt for orthogonalization in GMRES
  Sundials suggested factor for tolerance scaling 1
  Sundials cumulative number of internal steps 1000
  Sundials no. of calls to rhs function 1931
  Sundials no. of calls to linear solver setup function 0
  Sundials no. of error test failures 16
  Sundials no. of nonlinear solver iterations 1930
  Sundials no. of nonlinear convergence failure 204
  Sundials no. of linear iterations 3739
  Sundials no. of linear convergence failures 0
  PC Object:   1 MPI processes
    type: none
  Sundials no. of preconditioner evaluations 0
  Sundials no. of preconditioner solves 0
  Sundials no. of Jacobian-vector product evaluations 3739
  Sundials no. of rhs calls for finite diff. Jacobian-vector evals 3739
steps 1000 (0 rejected, 0 SNES fails), ftime 744.845, nonlinits 3739, linits 3739

I use Sundials mostly with finite difference Jacobians, but I also provide Jacobian matrices where I can (which would be another helpful feature).

Cheers,

Geoff