[petsc-users] Solutions different after program restart

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jun 3 09:13:50 CDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Niceno Bojan <bojan.niceno at psi.ch> wrote:

> Well, even above that, around 50 :-)
>
> You were right.  Reducing 50 by a factor of 0.001, which I set, the
> differences are indeed smaller than the solver tolerance :-)

Good

> But, allow me to ask one more time, to make sure:  I am using gmres with
> Jacobi's preconditioner.  The run is sequential, the nodes are not
> renumbered.  Is it safe to neglect these differences, even if they are
> smaller than prescribed tolerances?

It's "safe" in the sense that both answers are equivalent, but it would be
good to know what is causing the differences. How is the matrix assembled?
Did you use -ksp_view_binary and ksp ex10 to check that the system really
is identical? Does ksp ex10 give the same output each time you run it? Can
you send a few iterations of output from -ksp_monitor_true_residual?