[petsc-users] Software for load balancing to improve parallel performance to be used with PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 3 17:03:54 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 16:58, TAY wee-beng <zonexo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running a 3D Fortran CFD code. The grid used is Cartesian. The current
> code is partitioned in the z direction for MPI.
>
> For e.g. for total size z = 10, if partitioned into 5 cpus, it'll become
> size z = 2 for each cpu.
>
> Uneven grids are used to reduce the number of grids and the main bulk of
> grids clusters around the center.
>
> I read about load balancing software. I wonder if it will improve the
> performance/speed of my code.
>
> If so, what are the available choices for use with PETSc and Fortran? Are
> ParMETIS, Zoltan or Isorropi recommended?

I would just use MatPartitioning (usually calling into ParMetis underneath)
if you want an unstructured partition. Zoltan (and its more
C++/Epetra-ified Isorropia interface) provides some assistance for moving
application data, but I haven't found it to be easier to use than just
moving the data myself and it adds an additional dependency.