[petsc-users] VecSetBlockSize with release 3.3

Aldo Bonfiglioli aldo.bonfiglioli at unibas.it
Fri Dec 21 06:04:31 CST 2012

Dear all,
I am in the process of upgrading from 3.2  to 3.3.

I am a little bit puzzled by the following change:
> VecSetBlockSize() cannot be called after VecCreateSeq() or
> VecCreateMPI() and must be called before VecSetUp() or
> VecSetFromOptions() or before either VecSetType() or VecSetSizes()
With the earlier release I used to do the following:

         CALL VecCreateSeq(PETSC_COMM_SELF,NPOIN*NOFVAR,DT,IFAIL)
          IF(NOFVAR.GT.1) CALL VecSetBlockSize(DT,NOFVAR,IFAIL)

with 3.3 it looks like the following is required :

          CALL VecCreate(PETSC_COMM_SELF,DT,IFAIL)
          CALL VecSetType(DT,VECSEQ,IFAIL)
          CALL VecSetBlockSize(DT,NOFVAR,IFAIL)
          CALL VecSetSizes(DT,NPOIN*NOFVAR,PETSC_DECIDE,IFAIL)

Is there a simpler (i.e. less library calls) way to achieve the same result?

Regards,
Aldo
--
Dr. Aldo Bonfiglioli
Associate professor of Fluid Flow Machinery

Publications list <http://publicationslist.org/aldo.bonfiglioli>